I believe some of you are relieved to know that we amended the promotion criteria to allow those without drill stage badges to be promoted from LCP to CPL and CPL to SGT.
However, we still require you to earn both the Drill Stage 1 and 2 badges if you want to be promoted to our highest rank (in secondary school) of Staff-Sergeant (SSGT). As we are a company whose reputation and focus is very much in drill (and discipline), we are unable to imagine our highest ranking NCOs - who represent 5th Singapore GB Company - being poor in drill.
For those whom I've trained, you should understand that the process of doing drill over a period of time shows a lot of your character. Are you a hard-worker? Are you a team-player? Do you persevere? How much self-discipline do you possess? Are you adaptable and willing to accept feedback and make changes accordingly?
Indeed, just to get your boots to shine is no easy task. If you've been putting much efforts to get them to shine every time you wear them, I am very proud of you. Sitting for a period of time to polish your drill boots can be a chore but you learn to be patient in the process and, to try and try again. Even I didn't manage to get my boots to shine till I was in Sec two, so I understand how Sec 1s will be frustrated when their boots don't shine. But, you are not alone, you have seniors and officers who can teach you little tips that we've acquired over time. Ask, and we will help you. I will help you.
For those who aim higher, and want to collect all three Drill Stage badges, I urge you to continue to polish your skills in drill consistently. For you must always be prepared for any drill stage tests that come by, like next Jan 2015.
God bless.
Drill Stage 1 and 2 (for Upper Sec)
17 Jan 2015 (Sat), 9am. -stage 1 will start first. After it ends, stage 2 will start.
Drill Stage 2 and 3 (for Upper Sec)
24 Jan 2015 (Sat), time TBC*
Each Drill Stage comes in 2 parts - Theory (Written test) and Practical. You must pass BOTH at the same sitting to pass each Drill Stage.
You need to be in GB full- uniform to take the Practical tests. Those with short frocks, you need to lengthen your frock or get a new one.
All the best! Our testers are National Drill Instructors from 18th Company.
-Mdm Laura
*TBC: To Be Confirmed after 17 Jan.
